Since 1911, 4 generations of Tan family have committed to avoiding compromise that has grown increasingly common amongst profit-focused establishments.
We do not compromise on how we cook so that you do not need to compromise in what you eat.
I heard that Hock Lam hand-slices its beef. What does that mean?
- Hand-slicing is the only way to thoroughly clean and de-fat/de-vein the meats suitable for slow-cooking a traditional and 5-star quality beef broth.
- Thoroughly cleaned beef results in a light and yet flavorful broth. As such, we don’t have to rely on high fat content or artificial flavors in our soup to produce rich flavor and appetising aroma.
- Genuine quality hand-slicing is an art that cuts all the beef slices along the grain. This is our secret behind juicy, sliced beef that is naturally tender without relying on tenderiser found liberally in copycat recipes.
- After years selling his noodles on foot to fellow hard-working Teochew laborors in the Chinatown area, our great-grandfather opened his first store on Hock Lam Street.
- The store opened in 1911 and spent its first 6 decades in that iconic location, where Funan Center stands today.
- Because the business had a loyal following for over 60 years at the famous Hock Lam Street location, the business took on that name and became commonly known as Original Hock Lam Street Beef Kway Teow.
- In 1999, Yummy King invited beef kway teow vendors from all over the island to present their best bowl of noodles.
- In a nation-wide competition of judge voting and island-wide voting, Original Hock Lam St. Beef Kway Teow and Anthony Tan, my father was unanimously voted Singapore’s No. 1 and Singapore’s Beef Noodle King!
- This was a heart-warming accolade for my family’s 100 years devoted to the business, passing the secret herbal recipe from parent to child, making us the oldest standing and original Beef Kway Teow in Singapore.
- Since then we have grown steadily to various locations in Singapore, all still self-managed and owned Anthony Tan and his daughter, Tina, the 3rd and 4th generations in the Hock Lam Beef legacy, respectively.
- While imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but only 1 chain is the true continuing legacy of the founder of the brand, 100 years ago.
- Wholesome and natural flavors from fresh ingredients, not mass-produced factory flavorings.
- Doing things right with no compromises: hand-sliced & hand-prepared ingredients, not pre-packaged and freeze-dried
- Slow-cooked for tenderness & flavor
- Cooked-to-order for maximum quality, because that’s the way grandpa did it. Since 1911.
Original Hock Lam St. Beef Kway Teow
Far East Square (map)
22 China Street, #01-01
Nearest MRT stations: Raffles Place, Chinatown
Mondays to Sundays & PH: 10.00am – 9.00pm
Tel: 6220 9290
Alexandra Retail Centre (map)
460 Alexandra Rd, #02-24
Nearest MRT station: Labrador Park
Mondays to Fridays: 10.00am – 9.00pm
Saturday, Sunday & PH: 11.00am – 9.00pm
Tel: 6272 9945
Email us at email@example.com